Monday, September 17, 2007

saying nothing

A few weeks ago I wrote a post on the science of passive pleasure, quoting bits from On Intelligence in the attempt to... well, look clever.

About a week later I walked fairly randomly through a heavy curtain at the entrance to PaceWildenstein ( 545 West 22nd Street, Manhattan) and was blown away. Here's the thing though. I'm not going to tell you what I was blown away by and this is kind of the point.

If you are (or intend to be) in New York before October 20th, I urge you not to look up who is exhibiting there. I knew nothing about the artist and had no clue what would be behind that curtain and it was this that made it such a wonderful experience. I am certain that if I had planned to see it or been told about it, it would not have had nearly the same impact.

There seems to be so few examples of primary cultural experiences these days. Everything is heavily documented and bookmarked. Most things are secondary experiences, for others and for our future selves. So, going against the very nature of blogging, I'm going to say nothing except: Go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home