Thursday, June 19, 2008

I Feel


I Feel is an idea I had a long time ago and just got round to doing something with. It was inspired by Musicovery, along with my desire (at the time) to try to remember my favourite places in New York.

Musicovery got me very excited when I first saw it about three years ago. Making decisions based on your mood is a powerful idea. It seemed crazy to limit that to just music.
Although it's tempting to focus on how technology can enable new behaviour, I'm more interested in how it can remove barriers to behaving in ways we are programmed to do. Mood - or state of mind - seems to me to be the most fundamental trigger for human action.

So I introduce (in very rough, beta form):

I Feel London
I Feel NYC

Navigate your city by your mood.
Share with others things you like to do depending on how you feel.

It's the beginning of something, although I'm not sure where to go from here just yet. Hope you like it. Do get involved - request an invite, stick on some placemarks. Invite someone else. You get the idea.

A few things:

1. You can only add things from within Google Maps
2. Invitations can come from me or anyone else that is already a contributor
3. Check out the Help videos if you have any problems


This is a real work in progress - love to get any thoughts, input, advise etc - just bear in mind I can't do really clever things like, er, programming ;)

If just a couple of hundred people put one thing on each map it would be a great resource for all of us. Fingers crossed.

Andy

P.s. I should do a shout out to my brother who very kindly did the complicated (to me) part between making this in iWeb and it appearing and working properly in its correct URLs. His description of the project is also interesting. Thanks Tim!

Labels:

16 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abolutely great! I just blogged it.

One thing, I can't request an invite. When I click on the link it takes me to my webmail thingy which I don't ever use. Is there another way of getting an invite?

Also, how easy is this to do? How would you feel about making Copenhagen the third city?!

12:55 pm  
Blogger Andy Whitlock said...

Thanks Aaron. Sorry, yes, email me at hello@ifeellondon.com.

Specify which maps you want access to.

You will receive one email invite per map.

1:39 pm  
Blogger Sabah said...

nice! any room for other moods?

as an extension, since you can have 2 totally different experiences depending on the day (esp. for weekday vs. weekend), it'd be interesting to see that contrast presented here.

5:07 pm  
Blogger Andy Whitlock said...

Hi Sabah - I'm sorry, I never replied to this. I think the weekend vs week day thing is interesting.

I think it's maybe a secondary filter though.

The two primary factors are 'where am I?' and 'how do I feel?'. After that, I think you could filter based on type of day, season, weather and even topicality.

I've got some things in the pipeline ;)

5:29 pm  
Blogger annaleeanda said...

Hi Andy,

I just read about it in ReadWriteWeb. Nice job, just wish I had seen it before we got to London.

Yes, have you thought of adding other cities?

7:58 pm  
Blogger Andy Whitlock said...

Hey Ala - yes more cities are on the way!
If you email me from the Ifeellondon.com site I will contact you when it's available. Or I'll eventually announce it here. That will just mean listening to me babbling on about other stuff in the meantime ;)

1:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Brilliant idea Andy,
just a suggestion - is it possible to highlight the content of each posts. right now you ahve to click on it to know what it is...

1:37 pm  
Blogger Serge the Concierge said...

Andy

Great idea

Just wrote about it in Naughty, Romantic or Broke, Things to do in London, NYC or Toronto on 'Serge the Concierge'.

Have a great day

Serge
'The French Guy from New Jersey'

5:31 pm  
Blogger annaleeanda said...

Hey Andy,

Cool I will do that and I would be keen to help on other cities if you need help.

A

10:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea. WE should start one for Montreal, that would work for sure.

1:22 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great idea. WE should start one for Montreal, that would work for sure.

1:23 pm  
Blogger Collette Parks said...

ooh, neat idea! a friend of mine started something similar for our city of Regina, Saskatchewan. most people think our city is boring, but it's definitely not. you just need to know where to go, and see it with eyes open to fun! one of my favourite locations on the map is "past kissing spot", hehe.

5:30 pm  
Blogger Christophe said...

I loved the idea! I wouldn't mind contributing to any Belgian cities (Brussels, Antwerp, Ghent) if you get round to them. Be sure to let me know if you can use a hand there.

Cheers

9:58 am  
Blogger Andy Whitlock said...

@Robins
This is being addressed in the new version. Things will only get better. But all feedback is very welcome. Feel free to email me from the site with any other suggestions.

@Serge
Thanks Serge. I saw your post. Glad you like it!

@Ala
Awesome. Help is very much appreciated. More cities are on the way.

@fhb418
Absolutely. A few people from Montreal have emailed me. We'll get it going really soon, I promise.

@Collette
Looks like fun :)

@Christophe
Thanks Christophe. Again, the new site will accomodate all cities. I'd love your help to kick-start Belgian cities :)

12:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Japan!
Please

8:57 am  
Blogger Andy Whitlock said...

rafting55,
drop me an email:

andy[[at]]nowincolour[[dot]]com

9:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home