Thursday, June 05, 2008

rationalising the irrational

Russell wrote a great post (how many posts begin that way, I wonder) called The Point of Pointless. It came to mind on something I'm working on at the moment. It was only when I applied the thinking practically that it struck me what I like so much about it.

I'm a very rational, logical person. I suspect most people that do similar jobs to me are the same. When I was about 20 I was at the house of an illustrator friend of mine. He showed me a very drawing of a girl with a green star on her cheek. I remember clearly how I felt. I thought: That star looks right somehow - and yet I never would have thought to put it there. There's no reason.

That's the thing. I like reasons. They help me choose what cocktail to have or which train to catch. The Point of Pointless is a dream come true to rational people like me. Because it provides the illusion of reason that makes it ok for me to do something without. It's a phantom framework that lasts long enough to facilitate something fun - and perhaps, pointless. Before you know it, the fun thing you've created is its own justification for existing. Hooray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home