Sunday, May 10, 2009

wedded to new york

We were in New York this last week. It was mostly to plan our wedding, but being a living, breathing human, I also looked at stuff and pondered some of it.

I thought it might be fun to present some of these thoughts in wedding-speak - something old; something new; etc. Let's see if this works:


Something old

Macy's Elevator from Andy Whitlock on Vimeo.


I absolutely love these old, wooden escalators in Macy's. Sorry for the rubbish video clip - I accidentally took a photo during filming. Yes, I was that keen to document it.

My second 'something old' is this painted advertisement for Dewar's White Label Scotch. I presume this is old. Those are children drinking, right? Hmm. Spotted in the LES.



Something new

ok - not new to everyone, but it was to me: In some subway cars there are new-ish digital signs to tell you where you are. The thing I like about them is that the display moves along one place at each stop. This way, you only need to look in one place to see the next few stops, rather than scan and find where you are on a longer display. Who needs to see where you've just been, right?


Also new is this T-shirt I bought.


It's very difficult to explain my reasoning for buying a tee that says "I am awesome". I don't think I am awesome. I think part of the reason I like it is because it reminds me of - and is perhaps an homage to - an Eddie Izzard story about awesome hot dogs:




Something borrowed

Pepsi's brand campaign in NYC is unmissable. Anyone living State-side will have seen this stuff for ages, but I hadn't seen it. To get its new logo in people's heads - and associated with the zeitgeist - the billboard series sees Pepsi borrowing equity from various well-known phrases.


LOL is awful, IMHO, but XOXO is spot on. For anyone that doesn't know, this is the sign-off for Gossip Girl - and a potent shorthand for Upper East Side teenage fabulousness. While also trite and cheap, if the goal is to continue Pepsi's crusade to be the cola for the fashionable new generation, then this is well chosen.


Something blue

Blue 1: Wrisley's dad, Mack, has a Wii Fit. I discovered, much to my sadness that I have a Wii Fit age of 45. Oh dear. Although watching Mack doing virtual ski jumping in the front room was awesome - like a hot dog.

Blue 2: It rained most of the time I was in New York. On the plus side, the mist and gloom enabled me to get this picture, which I like.

As well as containing an iconic NYC water tower and the silhouetted Empire State Building, it also contains a clue that soon, things will be looking up! :)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home