Wednesday, February 25, 2009

urville, the imaginary city

I'm reading Embracing the Wide Sky at the moment.

It's good.

Anyway, it pointed me to another autistic savant - a french guy called Gilles Trehin - who has invented (and since 1984 been depicting and documenting) an imaginary city called Urville.


He's drawn hundreds of pictures of Urville and documented its social, cultural and geographical histories. Crikey.

I particularly like this quote:
"I realised that I could expand the city in my mind without necessarily building it in lego"

You can read more about it here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminds me of a number of writers and their imaginary worlds e.g. Tolkien with the Middle Earth, Italo Calvino with Invisible Cities. This is fantastic.

2:13 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home