Friday, January 25, 2008

the downfall of words

Last year I found myself at a big ad agency in London discussing the brand blueprint/positioing they had just finished for a large drinks brand. It was three words. It was really bad. It was meaningless AND it was being used by another company.

When I tactfully mentioned some of this, I was told: "Yeah, we know. But we've had the thesaurus out and this is pretty much the best way to say it."

Here's a thought:
If words alone are too blunt a tool to express the beauty of an idea, use another medium.

Why not use sound, or moving image like this Samaritans ad? (via Nathan)

Don't get me wrong. I love words. But we've run out of them, mostly. You either have to use lots - each one a brush stroke in a rich painting - or look elsewhere. How many unique and emotive three-word slogans are still out there to be found?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I was kinda thinking something similar as I walked to work today.

The Music Almighty (Nokia) work sort of doesn't say anything, it just suggests a tone. For that, I like it.

Not many words, but a voice.

10:03 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

splendid point, Andy ;)

5:13 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home