Monday, July 21, 2008

web of lies 2.0


Question: Does social media make us liars?

Let me explain.
It's no secret that social media generally breeds a culture of super niceness. Bloggers generally say pleasant things about each other or nothing at all. In a small, transparent world who would want to spark any kind of hostility?

But there's another factor. If you blog, tweet or tumbl then everything you consume is potential currency. And though most events, exhibitions or talks I read about seem to be portrayed as a glorious success, I can't help but guess that I'm not always getting a faithful account. A nice picture and a positive write-up makes a better story than a paragraph about how the writer wasted his afternoon.

Eesh. I'm cold man. Cold. You're going to tell me that this says more about me than about other people aren't you. You're going to ask me if I lie when I write about things. I don't really. In fact I'm not that nice. I'm difficult. I wasted my evening here and I got bored out my mind (mostly) here.

ok, enough. I'm just pleased I finally had a thought. My brain has been like an empty tub of margarine recently - and I've been scraping the last warm slithers of crumb-ridden grease from its corners.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

social media generally breeds a culture of super niceness? you're such a massive twat whitlock.

1:48 pm  
Blogger Andy Whitlock said...

I see what you're doing. But I see through your faux-hostility. This is merely playground banter, meaning you're actually showing affection towards me and backing up my point. Ithankyou.

2:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Andy, totally dig your take on saying what you mean as opposed to the "we're all in this together" stance. I think it probably stems from feeling like the online community, particularly in digital ad-land is so small that people would rather be polite than run their mouths and then have to have an awkward conversation back-tracking.

Having said that, we don't seem to suffer too much from being overly polite down here in Australia =]

As you can see -> http://marketingmag.com.au/news/view/pubcamp-the-web-2-0-media-day-un-conference-430

1:39 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home